Saturday, October 9, 2010

Me and Music

When I was a teenager I went through many phases in my musical journey. Some were influenced by other people as I was still finding myself as a person. The different phases (in chronological order of course): Country, Rap (Eminem more specifically), Hard Rock and Screamo, Dance (Hip-Hop, the kind you dance to at clubs), and lastly there was the Lil John phase. Hip-Hop was a constant favorite though I might add. Now I am a mixture of all these styles. I listen to almost everything.
The first couple phases were mostly influenced by other people. I had grown up to country. From the time I can remember I was listening to that Honky-Tonk and heartbreak. Rap was influenced by my trip to Texas to see my father. The song "Without Me-Eminem" was literaly played every hour I was there. I listened to him to this day and enjoy his music very much.
Later I was influenced by my previous friend Brittany to listen to Hard Rock and Screamo music. It was the unique thing to do and so we headed the charge for hard core. Also I was influenced by my also previous friend Angela to listen to Lil John, which in part was a good thing because I still listen to him today. I was hooked as soon as I heard a song and there I went on my Lil John phase.
The one thing I didn't have to be influenced by anyone was dance music. I love to move and Hip-Hop was a saving grace. I could truly be myself and move to the beat...making all the boys stare, it let me be free of myself and show off. I have listened to hip-hop throughout my music journey and it is very diferent from what my parents considered dance music. The beat wasn't as defined. Pretty sure that these dance moves are a little dirtier than Dirty Dancing.
Overall I think that music is important in one's life, no matter how much you may disagree with that taste, it's important to that person. My mom understood that and hated Eminem, yet every cd I have ever owned by him, she bought me. I will reflect that on my kids, as long as the music is not as annoying as Hannah Montana.

No comments:

Post a Comment